GABCC members, Porcupine Gorge National Park, Qld
The Great Artesian Basin Coordinating Committee has established four sub-committees:
- Strategic Focus
- Research and Development
Strategic Focus Sub-committee
Membership of the Strategic Focus Sub-committee consists of government, industry, community representatives and Chair of the GABCC. The sub-committee's role is to:
- Identify and investigate strategic policy opportunities in terms of progressing the Great Artesian Basin Strategic Management Plan.
- Review progress of programs
- Provide objective analysis of policy issues.
- Provide proposals for the coordination of policy/management across sectors where appropriate
- Examine and prepare recommendations to Ministers on cross-border issues.
Membership of the Communications Sub-committee consists of government, industry, community representatives and Chair of the GABCC. The sub-committee's role is to:
- Coordinate promotion/publicity and communication about whole-of-Basin values against an approved workplan.
- Develop and implement a communications and consultation strategy to guide the Committee's communication and consultation with governments, water users and other stakeholders.
Research and Development Sub-committee
Membership of the Research and Development Sub-committee consists of government, industry, community representatives and Chair of the GABCC. The sub-committee's role is to:
- Develop and maintain a strategic scientific contact network and knowledge base for the Committee to support improved management of the Basin which is accessible by researchers, managers and other stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain a register of past, current and proposed research, technical development and related outputs in the Basin as an integral component of the knowledge base.
- Identify and prioritise strategic management information needs in relation to the economic, social and environmental implications of the implementation of the Strategic Management Plan.
- Actively influence and encourage research and technical development to address strategic knowledge gaps.
- Act as a key broker of knowledge on the Basin and ensure that relevant research outputs and other information are appropriately incorporated in the Committee's communication strategy.
- Coordinate technical activity (eg standards) and research.
- Make recommendations on holding workshops, seminars etc to showcase research on the Basin.
Membership of the Finance Sub-committee consists of Australian and State/Territory government representatives and Chair of the GABCC. The sub-committee's role is to:
- Undertake budgeting and financial planning for the Committee.
- Provide timely advice to keep the Committee within budget.
- Design and implement arrangements for the efficient and effective conduct of Committee business.